2021 has been a pivotal year for Appear—we’ve not only brought our new brand to market, but we’ve also launched truly innovative solutions that are solving some of the key challenges broadcasters, operators and remote production companies face when bringing immersive content experiences to life. With so much that’s happened this year, here’s a quick re-cap of our major achievements during 2021:
- January 2021: The arrival of our new CEO: Thomas Bostrøm Jørgensen joined Appear in January and since his arrival, has transformed Appear into a scalable company thanks to a combination of the right tools, processes, and organisational.
- June 2021: Delivering live TV and OTT services across Sweden: We announced our partnership with Sappa, the Swedish telecoms operator, who deployed our X and XC Platforms to support the delivery of live video for its television and OTT service, Sappa Play.
- June 2021: The quest for HD content in Argentina: Argentinian telecommunications operator, Gigared, announced it had chosen Appear’s X and XC Platforms to deliver HD content to more subscribers across the country.
- June 2021: Our new branding debut at ANGA COM DIGITAL: We were delighted to participate at this year’s ANGA COM DIGITAL show, which brought together the broadband, television and online industries. Appear took part in several keynote and panel sessions discussing encoding and transcoding for live broadcast. We also showcased our leading solutions, the X and XC Platforms.
- September 2021: Bringing French TV services to Reunion Island: We upgraded Zeop’s broadcasting infrastructure with our reseller partner Lucas Telecom to bring French digital television services to viewers on French Indian Ocean territory Reunion Island via our X Platform.
- September 2021: The importance of HEVC Encoding: We announced an upgrade to our X Platform, and its ability to support ultra-low latency HEVC encoding for the mobile and fixed contribution, as well as the live compression markets.
- September 2021: A new solution for digital satellite news gathering: We had the pleasure of announcing the launch of a new solution dedicated specifically to digital satellite newsgathering (DSNG) and mobile production. Our X10 DSNG—a compact, powerful, chassis—supports encoding/decoding, and satellite uplink/downlink. In just a single rack unit (RU) chassis, it is one of the most powerful and energy-efficient solutions available on the market today.
- October 2021: Delivering immersive VR experiences for an iconic sporting event: In partnership with production company Mobilelinks, and fan experience technology provider Cosm, we announced that JPEG XS encoding in our X Platform was used to successfully deliver live 3D virtual reality (VR) content for a major sporting event that took place this summer.
- November 2021: Combining hardware with software: We expanded our product portfolio with the launch of the NEO Series, a line of server-based products that combine our hardware pedigree with the utility of software-based technology. The NEO 10, the first available solution in the NEO Series, is designed to meet the needs of the live distribution market, where software-based compression is growing in popularity thanks to its low cost and flexibility.
While this year has seen us grow bigger and better, we will continue on this upward trajectory in 2022 and for years to come. But we are committed to doing this sustainably. In fact, we are focused on ensuring the environmental impact of Appear’s products is always front of mind. Our products, including the NEO Series and X10 DSNG, are designed and assembled locally in Norway following the EU regulation ISO 14000, where our approach to product design and operation puts maximum solution performance and minimal environmental impact hand in hand.
From production, through to shipping, deployment, operation and eventual disposal, Appear is dedicated to creating as little environmental impact as possible and provides complete transparency on the environmental impact of its technology, business and operations. We’re continuously dedicated to improving the energy efficiency of our products. Sustainability is an important industry topic, and as we face unprecedented and growing demand for media and content, we believe that everyone in our industry must play their part in reducing the impact on the environment.
Thank you to everyone at Appear, our partners and customers, both new and long-standing for their continuous support. We look forward to carrying on the momentum into the new year—look out for more exciting and innovative updates from us in 2022!