Latest update to industry leading X Platform brings new features updates including PCAP recording, Prometheus API support and more.
13th September, Oslo, Norway – Appear, the global leader in media processing and delivery technology, today announced the general availability of the latest update to its industry leading X Platform. The X Platform is a high-capacity, versatile, ultra-low latency platform for high-speed video networking, enhanced IP security and advanced compression for the remote production, contribution, and distribution markets. Appear’s latest system release offers upgrades on all modules to enhance the flexibility, security and remote traffic management of the X Platform. Appear continuously improves and develops its software-based hardware to offer the latest features to its customers and provide solutions to the specific needs and challenges of both the contribution and distribution spaces through dedicated, customizable solutions. Standout features from this latest upgrade include:
- Full support of JPEG XS encoding and decoding with embedding support for either 2110 or TS between encoder and decoder: JPEG XS is the latest in light compression algorithms that reduces bitrate by a factor of between 10 to 18 without sacrificing quality or introducing latency. JPEG XS in the X Platform supports transmission of JPEG XS compressed video over both SMPTE 2110 and classic transport streams. With two modules, one with classic coax SDI IO and one with Dual 40/25/10 IP, operators can easily bridge sites with classic coax infrastructure with newer sites based on SMPTE 2110 infrastructure.
- OTT encoding and transcoding, supporting both SDI and 2110: The X Platform embedded encoder in OTT mode offers a low maintenance solution designed for 24/7 operation, consuming up to seven times less power per channel than traditional server-based solutions. The X platform OTT encoding solution has roughly three second less delay than server-based solutions without sacrificing quality.
- Support for BISS scrambling and descrambling on IP, satellite and ASI: The update has additional support for BISS CA, an open standard introduced by EBU for encryption of content between professional players. Scrambling and descrambling will be available on all transports stream IO modules on the X Platform and can be provided as a software option on IP, satellite and ASI input and output.
- PCAP recording: With the introduction of PCAP recording on IP input, the X Platform now offers the users the ability to do short PCAP recordings of incoming RTP/UDP data together with relevant network protocols. The recording is automatically downloaded via the web user interface and can be analysed in detail using tools such as Wireshark or be sent to Appear for further analysis. Enabling operators to quickly analyse and solve issues with incoming sources.
- Prometheus API support: Prometheus is a standard for extracting data from all types of equipment including routers, servers etc. and is now a standalone open-source project. With the introduction of the Prometheus API on selected X Platform modules, operators can now easily extract and trend statistical data previously only available in web UI. Statistical data can be gathered from multiple sources and compared in the same dashboard, giving operators a better insight of the total system behaviour and act proactively when issues are emerging. Appear will continue adding support for Prometheus on additional modules.
“When buying into our X Platform our customers know that they’ll be getting an industry leading solution that is flexible enough to adapt to the latest innovations. Our continuous development of new modules and functionality for the X Platform, ensures we deliver the best products and latest innovations to our customers.” said Thomas Lind, Product Director at Appear. “Our recent upgrades to the X Platform provide an unparalleled offering with lower delays, low latency and increased network capacity without sacrificing quality. These are all critical factors to ensure viewer success and further solidifies our position as front runners and leaders in the video compression and media tech industry.”